Division 4A

22/04/2023, 14:30

Leeds Akkies


Bramley Buffaloes

Match Report

Buffaloes click into gear to top gear as they completely dominate Leeds Akkies

Andy & Devon Johnson

After a devastating loss to the Batley Boys in the 83rd minute last week, the Buffaloes were determined to bounce back against local rivals, Leeds Akkies. The players were fired up and ready to go, and the coaches had a big squad to choose from and wanted to ensure all players got some valuable game time under their belts. The Buffaloes have their sights set on next week’s cup semi-final against Cottingley Tigers, and they know they need to be in top form to make it through. Meanwhile, the Akkies were struggling to field a full team. In a display of true grit and determination, they took to the field with only 12 men.

The game started off with both teams vying for possession, but for the first 10 minutes, neither side seemed to be making much progress. However, the Buffaloes soon seized their opportunity when the Akkies lost the ball leading to a Buffaloes scrum 30 metres out. Directly from the scrum, the ball found the supporting Kieran Foster-Matthews, who swept past the Akkies’ cover tacklers to score a stunning try near the posts. Connor McGill added the conversion. Score Akkies 0 – 6 Buffaloes.

In the 20th minute, after some relentless Buffaloes pressure, Lewis Johnson broke free with a thunderous 30-metre run. Bailey Harman was quick to catch up, but the Leeds Akkies defence was unforgiving, and he was held up just inches away from the line. Then, Charlie McMurray swooped in to grab the ball from the ensuing play and forced his way over by the posts for the Buffaloes’ second try of the afternoon. Connor McGill converted the kick, bringing the score to 0 – 12 in favour of the Buffaloes.

Just six minutes later, the Buffaloes struck again with a third try, thanks to a determined run by Diesel Whalley, followed by another successful conversion by Connor McGill. The score was now 0 – 18, and the Buffaloes were on a roll.

Kieran Foster-Matthew took things up a notch, collecting a kick through on his 20-metre line and running an incredible 80 metres past the entire Akkies team to score his second try under the posts. To the dismay of the fans, Connor McGill missed the conversion, and the score now stood at 0 – 22.

The Akkies managed to put some points on the board after the Buffaloes gave away possession. Following a couple of missed tackles, their number 17 went in wide on the right for a try, making the score 4 – 22.

However, the Buffaloes were not done yet, and two further tries completed the scoring in the first half. The first fell to Joe Mathers, who muscled his way through the Akkies’ defence in the 32nd minute. Then, in the 39th minute, Jacob Oldroyd bulldozed his way over the line, securing the Buffaloes’ sixth try of the match. With one conversion by Connor McGill, the first half ended with an impressive score of 4 – 32 in favour of the mighty Buffaloes.

Halftime score Leeds Akkies 4 – 32 Buffaloes

The second half of the match kicked off with a bang for the Buffaloes as they continued their rampage against the Akkies. Just three minutes in, the Akkies were penalised for a head-high tackle, yet by the time the referee had blown his whistle; Charlie McMurray had already galloped under the posts for what would have been his second try! The referee called the play back, yet the delay in scoring was only short-lived as Dylan Murphy powered his way over from the penalty tap. Score 4 – 36.

The Buffaloes showed no signs of slowing down as Ethan McFarlane took a pass at speed to score in the corner just five minutes later. The conversion, taken by Kasper Mroz, went wide, and the score now stood at 4 – 40.
In the 50th minute, Kieran Foster-Matthews stepped up to score his hat-trick try after a superb cross-field pass by the Buffaloes. Although there was some dispute about the conversion attempt, which appeared to have gone over, the referee deemed it to have gone just under the crossbar. Score: 44 – 4.

Bailey Harmon was the next scorer for the Buffaloes, showing his strength and pace as he raced over near the posts. The conversion sailed over to bring up the half-century for the team. 0 – 50.

In the 63rd minute, Dylan Mann dived over the line displaying his strength and determination to score a converted try. Score: 4 – 56.

This was quickly followed by a superb try in the corner by Ben Blanchard, causing the crowd to erupt into applause. The conversion went wide, making the score 4 – 60.

Jacob Oldroyd then went in for a well-worked try in the 70th minute, which was converted by Ethan McFarlane, increasing the score to 4 – 66.

With just four minutes left in the match, the Akkies managed to score a consolation try wide out on the right though this wasn’t converted. This brought in the final score: Akkies 8 – Buffaloes 66.

It was a commanding performance from the Buffaloes, who bounced back from their heartbreaking loss last week with a resounding victory over their
local rivals.

Final score Leeds Akkies 8 – 66 Buffaloes

1) Kieran Foster-Matthews, 2) Ben Blanchard, 3) Joe Mathers, 4) Lewis Johnson, 5) Dylan Maan,6) Kacper Mroz, 7) Ethan McFarlane, 8) Billy Butterworth, 9) Jack Boot, 10) Charlie McMurray, 11) Bailey Harman, 12) Jacob Oldroyd, 13) Connor McGill, Subs (All Used); 14) Cameron McGill, 15) Michael Wright, 16) Samuel Marshall, 17) Deisel Whalley, 18) William Murray, 19) Dylan Murphy

Tries: Foster Matthews (10, 30, 50), McMurray (20), Whalley (26), Joe Mathers (32), Oldroyd (39, 70), Murphy (43), McFarlane (48), Harman (55), Blanchard (65), Mann (63)
Goals: McGill x 3, Mroz, McFarlane, Murphy x 2


Name TR CON PEN DG Cards
1 3
2 1
3 1
5 1
6 1
7 1 1
10 1
11 1
12 2
13 3


Name TR CON PEN DG Cards
14 1 2
19 1