Division 3

01/06/2024, 14:30

York Acorn


Bramley Buffaloes

Match Report

Buffaloes legend Omar Al-Wari shows his class to motivate the Buffaloes to victory at York Acorn

Andy & Devon Johnson

The Buffaloes travelled with a strong squad of 17 to face a formidable York Acorn side, bolstered by three NCL players who hadn’t joined their first team’s trip to Cumbria.

The early stages of the game revealed a balanced contest in the forwards, with the Buffaloes’ younger, more agile pack competing against their older, heavier opponents. However, the Buffaloes had the upper hand in the backs. Early exchanges saw York penalised for an attempted headshot on Eliah Chitiyo, who had been identified as a significant threat.

The Buffaloes made their breakthrough in the 12th minute when Sam Neave embarked on a mazy run, evading at least five defenders before passing to Eliah Chitiyo, who went over to score. Lewis Gaunt added the extras, bringing the score to Buffaloes 6 – 0.

In the 20th minute, the Buffaloes scored their second try following a strong run by Louis Morrison, who was a constant threat throughout the match. Omar Al-Wari received the ball 10 meters out and, despite being outnumbered, simply ghosted through the York defenders to touch down the ball. Lewis Gaunt’s conversion attempt narrowly missed, making the scoreline Buffaloes 10 – 0.

York responded in the 26th minute with a try after the Buffaloes were forced to drop out, having been tackled behind their own try line. Surprisingly, the York kicker missed the extras from the side of the posts, leaving the score at Buffaloes 10 – 4.

The Buffaloes finished the half strongly with their third try, once again from Omar Al-Wari, who scored an almost identical try to his first. This time, Lewis Gaunt converted from the touchline, bringing the score to Buffaloes 16 – 4.

Just before halftime, Eliah Chitiyo received the ball 30 meters out and displayed too much pace for the York defence, rounding the centre, winger, and fullback to score his second try under the posts. Lewis Gaunt added the extras, resulting in a halftime score of Buffaloes 22 – 4.

Half-time score: Buffaloes 22 – 4

The second half was a much more even affair as the Buffaloes succumbed to several injuries to key players, likely due to the lingering effects of last week’s bruising semi-final victory at Moldgreen. York started the half strong, reducing the deficit with a converted try in the 55th minute, bringing the score to Buffaloes 22 – 10.

This spurred the Buffaloes into action. They quickly advanced upfield, and the ball was passed to Omar Al-Wari, who initially looked as though he was going to kick. Instead, he ran at the York defenders, who appeared mesmerized once again as he went in untouched for his hat-trick try. Kasper Mroz added the conversion, making the score Buffaloes 28 – 10.

The Buffaloes seemed the more likely team to add further points, with Sam Marshall and Jamie Donelly both coming close, but they were just unable to score. The match continued to be fiercely contested, but the Buffaloes’ early efforts and strong defence ensured their victory.

Acorn: 1) Reece Arthur, 2) Haiden Barber, 3) Tom Bedda, 4) Daniel Byworth, 5) Ziggy Dudman, 6) Timothy Elliott, 7) Adam Endersby, 8) Benjamin Husband, 9) Jordan Hyde, 10) Ricky James, 11) Callum McDarby, 12) Kynan Selby, 13) Clayton Shepherdson, Subs (all used); 14) Dominic Smith, 15) Tim Stubbs, 16) Luke Swales, 17) John Tattersfield, 18) Elliott Welburn.

Buffaloes: 1) Omar Al-Rawi, 2) Eliah Chitiyo, 3) Kacper Mroz, 4) Samuel Marshall, 5) Jamie Donnelly, 6) Bryn Perrott, 7) Sam Neave, 8) Jacob Oldroyd, 9) Jack Boot, 10) Louis Morrison, 11) Thomas Langton, 12) Cameron McLachlan, 13) Lewis Gaunt, Subs (all used); 14) Bailey Harman, 15) Charlie McMurray, 16) Curtis Sidebottom, 17) Billy Butterworth

Tries; Al-Rawi (22, 37 & 60), Chitiyo (12 & 40)

Goals: Gaunt x 3, Mroz



Name TR CON PEN DG Cards
1 3
2 2
3 1
13 3


Name TR CON PEN DG Cards