YML Trophy

04/05/2024, 14:30

Bramley Buffaloes


Castleford Panthers

Match Report

Buffaloes trampled the Panthers in rousing cup quarter final victory!

Andy & Devon Johnson

In a long-awaited reunion following the first round of the challenge cup in 2008, the Buffaloes were drawn to play Castleford Panthers in the quarter final of this year’s cup. This was a particularly opportune time for the match as the Buffaloes hosted their 20-year reunion before the game. On paper, the Buffaloes fielded one of the strongest sides this season with players returning from 2023 bans and the return of some of our friends from West Leeds RU.

The Buffaloes wasted no time in stamping their authority on the match, opening their account just two minutes in. A fluid sequence involving four different players culminated in Sam Neave’s incisive run from 20 meters out, crossing the line for an unconverted try, setting the score at Buffaloes 4 – 0.

Demonstrating their offensive skill once again in the 7th minute, the Buffaloes orchestrated a spectacular try from 50 meters out. It started with a break down the left-hand side that went through several pairs of hands before it found Baily Harmon who was in prime position to finish off the set with a try out wide on the left. This was duly converted by Connor McGill, extending the lead to Buffaloes 10 – 0.

However, the Panthers clawed their way back into contention in the 14th minute, albeit amidst controversy. The Panther’s centre received the ball and appeared to be thwarted by the formidable defence of Dan Booth and Kieran Hudson just meters from the line. He appeared not to ground the ball which rolled free over the touchline. The referee, however, deemed the ball had been stolen in the act of scoring and awarded a penalty try with a kick under the posts. This narrowed the deficit to 10 – 6 after a successful conversion.

Undeterred, the Buffaloes responded with a try of their own in the 18th minute, courtesy of the returning Sam Marshall who showcased some incredible skill throughout the afternoon. The Buffaloes had found a weakness on the Panther’s right wing so decided to move the ball down their left where Marshall gathered a high looping pass, juggled it about, before showcasing his strength to power over from 30 meters out. With Connor McGill adding the extras from the touchline, this pushed the scoreline to Buffaloes 16 – 6

Despite their dominance, the Buffaloes were met with resilient defence from the Panthers, as they thwarted several scoring opportunities before finally breaching their defence once more in the 35th minute. Keiran McFarlane capitalized on a well-executed play, darting in from 15 meters out to notch another try, with Connor McGill converting to widen the gap to Buffaloes 22 – 6.

Against the run of play, the Panthers scored their second try just moments before halftime. In the 40th minute, the Panthers capitalised on a lapse in the Buffaloes’ defence to notch their second and final try of the match.

Half time score: Buffaloes 22 – 12.

The second half witnessed a complete domination by the Buffaloes, who not only tightened their defensive lines but also unleashed punishing tackles, driving the opponents several meters back with each contact. Sam Neave and Dan Booth spearheaded this defensive onslaught, with returnee Louie Morrison leaving the Panthers players trailing in his wake.

The Buffaloes wasted no time in extending their lead, as Keiran Hudson capitalised on a break by Dan Booth, flying in on the right to notch an impressive try. Connor McGill added the extras from the touchline, pushing the scoreline to Buffaloes 28 – 12.

In the 60th minute, Jack Boot showcased his trademark move, darting in from 10 meters out to score yet another try for the Buffaloes. However, McGill missed the subsequent conversion, leaving the score at Buffaloes 32 – 12.

With the clock ticking down, the Buffaloes orchestrated a magnificent try in the 70th minute. Louis Morrison stormed through the tiring Panther defence before moving the ball out to his backline. They moved the ball 20 meters up field before Morrison, who was still running in support, received the final pass to cross the line for an unconverted try, extending the lead to Buffaloes 36 – 12.

The final try of the match came from centre Lewis Gaunt, who had exhibited relentless effort throughout the game. Gaunt’s well-deserved try from 25 meters out sealed the victory for the Buffaloes, with the scoreboard reading Buffaloes 40 – 12.

Full time score: Buffaloes 40 – 12.

The coaches expressed their delight at the performance of their players, with eight tries scored by eight different players showcasing the Buffaloes’ attacking expertise and versatility across the pitch. We can now confidently look forward to the semi-final match which is away at Moldgreen on the 25th May. Our thoughts go out to Dan Booth, and we’re sending our best wishes for a swift recovery as he deals with two broken ribs. Given his dedication to the club, we have no doubt he’ll be back on the field in no time, ready to make his mark once again.

Buffaloes: 1) Omar Al Rawi, 2) Samuel Marshall, 3) Sam Neave, 4) Daniel Booth, 5) Kieran Hudson, 6) Connor McGill, 7) Kieran McFarlane, 8) Jacob Oldroyd, 9) Jack Boot, 10) Louis Morrison, 11) Thomas Langton, 12) Bailey Harman, 13) Lewis Gaunt, Subs (all used); 14) Billy Butterworth, 15) Ben Wilkinson, 16) Ben Gaunt, 17) Charlie McMurray.

Tries; Marshall (16), Neave (2), Hudson (48), McFarlane (35), Boot (60), Morrison (70), Harman (5), Gaunt (71)

Goals: McGill x 4

Panthers: 1) Brandon Worsley, 2) Thomas Chester, 3) Reece Henderson, 4) Drew Wright, 5) Josh Byles, 6) Declan McCall, 7) Lewis Astbury, 8) Jack Longbottom, 9) Jake Smith, 10) Thomas Holder, 11) Mason Floyde, 12) Lewis Ransome, 13) Jordan Holder, Subs (all used); 15) Reuben Walker, 16) Joseph Turner, 20) Ryan McNamee.


Name TR CON PEN DG Cards
2 1
3 1
5 1
6 4
7 1
9 1
10 1 Yellow Card
12 1
13 1


Name TR CON PEN DG Cards