National League 3

29/05/2004, 14:30

Bramley Buffaloes


Warrington Woolston Rovers

Match Report

Bramley Buffaloes attracted another large crowd of 552 to Coal Hill Drive for their second home game of the season, sponsored by TFB’s cafe bar in Pudsey, but lost out 32-8 to a powerful Woolston side.

An open and entertaining match burst into life on three minutes when Mark Roughneen rounded off a flowing three quarters move to touch down for the visitors. Bramley hit back five minutes later with the best try of the game. A pinpoint cross-field kick from Darren Collins was collected by Gavin Buckley and the mobile back row forward strolled over. Shaun Flynn’s conversion made it 6-4 to the hosts.

The Buffaloes suffered a major blow midway through the half with recent Aussie recruit Tim Orr going off with a head injury. The giant prop, who had been the star of the show until that point, was rushed to hospital but later got the all clear.

Woolston drew level with a penalty from Lee Rushton on 24 minutes but the Buffaloes edged in front with a kick from Shaun Flynn after interference. Rushton made it 8-8 on 32 minutes with his second penalty of the match.

A second Bramley forward Danny O’Connor left the field with concussion on 35 minutes leaving the home side perilously short on power through the midfield.

The Buffaloes dominated territory and possession for most of the first half but failed to find a cutting edge. Woolston made them pay with a breakaway try from James Brabin on the stroke of half-time converted by Roughneen to make the score at the break 8-14.

It was a bitter blow from which Bramley failed to recover and despite being camped on the Woolston line for the first ten minutes of the second half it was the visitors who extended their lead with another score on the break. Roughneen ran a full 80 yards to touch down with Liam Horrigan adding the kick to make it 20-8 to Rovers.

A deflated Buffaloes went further behind on 67 minutes with a penalty from Roughneen and moments later Steve Warburton cantered over to increase the home side’s woes.

A further penalty from Rushton and a 76th minute try from Dave Powlesland put the seal on victory for the Cheshire side. Amraz Hamid had an excellent game for the Buffaloes although it was prop Richard Greenwood who was the home side’s man-of-the-match.

Buffaloes assistant coach Richard Harrison, standing in for the absent Phil Hellewell, was keen to stress the positives: “We played some very good football in the first half but failed to make possession count against a very very strong Woolston side. You have to take advantage in these situations and once we lost Tim and Danny we were very much up against it. “They showed their class in the second half with several scores on the break but we have to be pleased by the way we performed against one of the country’s best amateur sides. “We have another tough test on Monday at Bradford Dudley Hill before returning to Stanningley next Saturday for a crucial match against Huddersfield Rangers. That is a game we must win and once again we need a big show of support from the people of West Leeds. All of the players have been mightily impressed by the vocal backing we’ve received and that needs to continue,” added Richard. Bramley make the short trip to Dudley Hill on Bank Holiday Monday before facing Huddersfield Rangers at Stanningley on the 5th June – kick-off 2.30pm


Name TR CON PEN DG Cards
2 2
13 1


Name TR CON PEN DG Cards