Coventry Bears Vs Bramley Buffaloes - Bramley Buffaloes

  • Play Off
  • 02/10/2004
  • 14:30

The battling Bramley Buffaloes season is over after a pulsating game at Butts Park Arena, going down 32-18 to the Coventry Aquatic Bears.

The Bears took the lead after being awarded a penalty for a High Tackle, in the second minute of the game. Shortly after the Buffaloes were dealt the first of several blows when inspirational Captain Mark Butterill limped from the field with a calf injury.

In the ninth minute the buffaloes were awarded a penalty and the kick found touch five metres from the Bears line and in the first play Marc Gibson burrowed his way through the defence to score the first try for the Buffaloes, with Darrell Forster converting making the score 6-2 to the Buffaloes.

Direct from the kick off the Bramley defenders allowed the ball to bounce and the Bears Kurt Johnson was on to the loose ball. In the resulting set of plays Coventry were over the line for another score, bringing the scores back to 6-6, with the conversion added, they lead 8-6.

On the 17th minute prop Tim Orr burst through the Bears defence to the Bramley the lead again with the scored being 10-8. The lead was short lived as the Bears regained the lead in the 20th minute with a try, making it 12-10.

The second quarter was end to end action with the first break through coming on the 24th minute with a penalty to Bramley which Forster converted equalling the scores at 12 all. A minute later some clever play same Paul Cummings go through the Bears defence to give the Buffaloes the lead at 16-12. Two minutes before half time the Bears Equalised with an unconverted try, and the teams went into the break at 16 all.

Three minutes into the second half the Bears scored the first points of the second half with an unconverted try giving them the lead 20-16.

In the 46th Minute Bramley were dealt another cruel blow when playmaker Marc Gibson was led from the field with what looked like a serious leg injury, after intensive treatment on the side lines he was able to return to the field, but not before the Coventry side increased their led to 26-16 with a converted try in the 52nd minute.

From this point the Bramley side were chasing the game, and with their play maker reduced to a hobble, the task was made harder. But the Buffaloes never gave in with some strong running from Second Rower Jon Beanland and Prop Tim Orr. With the only points of the half coming from a Forster Penalty, with a try being disallowed and coming close on several occasions.

Coventry rounded off the scoring on the 71st minutes with a converted try to make the scores 32-18.