East Hull V Bramley Buffaloes - Bramley Buffaloes

  • Yorkshire Men’s League – Premier Division
  • 27/04/2019
  • 14:30

Buffaloes Happy in Defeat

Bramley Buffaloes travelled to East Yorkshire to face East Hull with a depleted team through injuries, work commitments and others who dropped out late on the day.

This was the first of three games with East Hull, including the Forty20 Cup final at the end of May.

The weather was back to normal for early season summer rugby, with sleet, rain and chilling winds blowing in off the north sea.

The game was a scrappy affair with the weather taking its toll on the players and making the ball slippy but the referee to his credit allowed play to flow where possible.

The game started with the Buffaloes only having ten men on the field. With the remaining three still en route and the Buffaloes kicked off and the ball was caught in the wind and sailed out on the Full, putting the home side on the attack from the off.

Within five minutes of the kick-off the Buffaloes were up to 13 and were on the attack, and in the tenth minute, forced a repeat set and were looking good.

In the 14th Minute, the Buffaloes thought they were in for the opening score of the game. However, the referee had other ideas and called the play back for a forward pass.

The Buffaloes were building pressure on the East Hull live, and in the 37th minute Tom Langton scooped up an Aidan Baranyi kick to give the Buffaloes the lead four points to nil.

In the lead up to the try Centre, Rob Brown hobbled off the field injured, temporarily reducing the Buffaloes to 12 men.

The Buffaloes survived the remaining two minutes of the first half to go into the break in the lead four nil.
Two minutes into the second and East Hull hit back with a converted try, giving them the lead six points to four.
On 45 minutes the Buffaloes defence was repelling all comers and forced a turn over in possession.

Three minutes later and Tom White, who had dropped back to Full back lost a bomb in the swirling winds, and knocked the ball on, giving East Hull the possession within ten metres of the Buffaloes line, but some stout defending saw them come away empty handed.

In the 51st minute and the home team was in again for a converted try, doubling their lead to 12-4.

From the Restart East Hull Fumbled possession and the Buffaloes were on the attack, on the last play of the set, Scrum Half Baranyi, crashed over the line from short range, for a try under the black dot, with winger Kieran Foster Matthews adding in the conversion, making the score 12-10.

Shortly after the try full-back Peter Croft had to leave the field with a head injury and was unable to return for the remainder of the game.

In the 60th minute, the Buffaloe thought they had scored again, but the referee denied them the try, claiming a knock on.

Two minutes later and East Hull crossed for their third try of the afternoon, taking advantage of the overlap, and scoring a converted try by the corner flag, extending the lead to 18-10.

In the 72nd minute, the home team were in again on the other of the field. With a three-man overlap to contend with the Bramley defenders had a choice to make, and whichever attacker they targeted, the try was always on. The Conversion was successful and the scoreline extended to 24-10.

East Hull soon thought they were in again, but the referee deemed that the had knocked the ball dead and awarded a 20-metre restart to the Buffaloes. In disgust the Easts player kicked the ball away, delaying the restart and left the referee no option but to sin bin the player.

On 79 minutes and what turned out to be the last play of the game, Easts were on the attack and turned the Buffaloes defence inside out with some excellent passing.

The attacking player drew in fullback White and passed the ball on the inside to a supporting player, who scored under the black dot — with the conversion again been successful, making the final score East Hull 30 Bramley Buffaloes 10.

There were lots of positives from the Buffaloes point of view, the 13 players on the field gave their all, and without substitutes played for the full 80 minutes. Those that didn’t come need to have a long hard look at themselves and decide if they are committed to the club and their teammates or not.

The Buffaloes are at home this coming Saturday, when they face high flying Queensbury, at the Warrels, kicking off at 2.30pm.

Buffaloes: 1) Peter Croft, 5) Luke Standing, 4) Kieran Hudson, 3) Rob Brown, 2) Kieran Foster-Matthews, 18) Jack Witton, 7) Aidan Baranyi, 9) Charlie McMurray, 13) Jake Barnett, 21) Danny Steel, 11) Tom Langton, 12) Dan Baranyi, 16) Tom White.

Tries: Langton (37), Baranyi A. (55).
Goals: Foster-Matthews x 1.