Hanging Heaton Vs Bramley Buffaloes - 09/09/2017 - Bramley Buffaloes

  • Friendly
  • 09/09/2017
  • 14:30

Buffaloes Win Jack Briggs Memorial Trophy

With the failures of the last few weeks, we were desperate for a game. Hanging Heaton ARLFC had been let down by their opposition for their annual Jack Briggs Memorial Trophy game, we were able to set in and fill the breach, which aided both clubs.

The weather in the hours leading up to the match, was poor, torrential rains, but that abated, but there were dark, menacing clouds looming overhead, that held off, until midway through the second half, when the heavens opened again, and the rains came.

The was punctuated by mistakes from both teams and the whistle of the referee, who seemed to have a new whistle, and wanted to give it a trial run for the upcoming winter season.

In the second minute, Connor McGill put up a deft crossfield kick, which Fullback, Aaron Henry swooped in for, and went over the line for the first Buffaloes try of the afternoon. Henry added the conversion to give the Buffaloes the lead, 0-6.

Two minutes later, and Hanging Heaton crossed the line for their opening score of the day following back to back penalties and some poor defence. The try was converted, levelling the scores at six all.

In the eleventh minute, Nathan Hammond was dispatched to the sin-bin for an unknown offence, and from the resulting penalty Hanging Heaton were over again for an unconverted try, giving them the lead, 10-6.

In the 16th minute, McGill capitalised on some weak defence and crossed for the Buffaloes second try, with Henry adding the conversion, giving the Buffaloes the lead again 10-12

On 22 minutes Home side were over again, following more poor defence, for a converted try, giving them the lead 16-12.

On 25 minutes Ben Maynard Worrincy was sent to the sin bin for a mistimed challenge.

Just after the half hour mark, Kieran Hudson, stormed over for a try, with Henry adding the conversion. Giving the Buffaloes the lead 16-18.

Ten minutes into the second half, Henry crossed for his second try of the day, again adding the conversion, extending the lead to 16-24.

Three minutes later Hanging Heaton, were over again for another converted try, narrowing the Buffaloes lead to 22-24.

In the 58th Minute, one of the Buffaloes trialists crossed for a try, with Henry again adding the Extras, extending the lead to 22-30. Before awarding the try, the referee sent one of the Hanging Heaton players off for a foul that occurred during the lead up to the try.

On 65 minutes, Rob Brown crossed for a try after backing up a break by Nathan Hammond. Again Henry was on target with the extra two points, making the lead, 22-36.

in the 70th Minute, Hanging Heaton were over again following a mistake from the Buffaloes, for a converted try, narrowing the Buffaloes lead to 28-36.

On 73 minutes, Hammond crossed for a try, following one of his trademark runs, again converted by Henry, making the score 28-42.

A few minutes later the Referee blew his whistle for the final time. Giving the Buffaloes a much-needed victory, and the Jack Briggs Memorial Trophy.

The Buffaloes are in action again next weekend against Hunslet Club Parkside in the Yorkshire Men’s League Playoff Semi final.

Buffaloes: 6) Aaron Henry, 2) Rob Brown, 10) Nathan Hammond, 4) Kieran Hudson, 20) A.N. Other, 19) Connor McGill, 15) Brad Wilson (c), 3) Charlie McMurray, 9) Cameron McLachlan, 8) Ben Maynard Worrincy, 11) Tom Langton, 12) Richard Fenty, 13) Aiden Baranyi, Subs (all used); 16) S.O. Else, 18) Tom Jenkins, 14) Ben Blanchard.

Tries: Henry (2, 50) McGill (16), Hudson (31), S.O. Else (58), Brown (65), Hammond (73).

Goals: Henry 7 from 7