Kippax Knights Vs Bramley Buffaloes - 25th July 2010 - Bramley Buffaloes

  • Rugby League Conference National
  • 25/07/2010
  • 14:30

by Andy Coldrick 

Kippax Knights 10 (4) v Bramley Buffaloes 40 (20)

Bramley Buffaloes maintained their three point lead at the top of the RLCN with another convincing victory over local Leeds rivals Kippax Knights with a 10-40 away victory on Sunday.

Buffaloes coach MarkButterill spoke before the game about this derby not being about revenge for Buffaloes, after Kippax had inflicted the only league defeat of the season so far on the Buffaloes back in May, he was more concerned about his team’s performance. After the game then he pronounced himself well satisfied with his team’s efforts who had erased the memory of that earlier defeat with a wholly professional performance that sets up next weeks top-of-the-table clash with Warrington at Stanningley.

The Bramley Buffaloes team showed only a few minor changes to the team that performed so well the previous week at Nottingham. James Brown moved back into the centre spot as Andy McGann was unavailable, Jon Nicholls came back in at scrum half and Shaun Flynn onto the wing as Graham Harrison and Alistair James moved to the bench along with John Elliker and Danny Mitchell. Kippax made some enforced changes to their team, notably there was no Andy Tillett in their team.

Kippax made a dream start to the game as they forced a Buffaloes knock-on from the kick-off then gained a cheap penalty. Chris Knowles who was playing at stand-off showed strength as he took the ball to the line and somehow snaked out a arm to get the ball down under pressure for the first points. There was no conversion. Aided by a strong breeze, Drake kicked a 40/20 on five minutes which then saw John Richardson have a try ruled out in the corner for a knock-on. Drake tested the Kippax defence on 8 minutes when his high bomb to the corner was not dealt with, James Brown going close before being held up short. Kippax responded and on the back of some excellent work by their forwards they trapped Jon Nicholls in-goal following a neat kick from Adkin. The Buffaloes dropped out but the Kippax attack came to nothing. Bramley were starting to win the battle of the forwards and it therefore came as no surprise when after a couple of failed attempts the Buffaloes crossed for their first try on 18 minutes in the unlikely shape if Richard Leese. Leese came onto a flat pass from Drake at pace and crashed over by the posts, Drake converted. More Buffaloes pressure followed and the Kippax defence was working overtime to keep the powerful Buffaloes surges at bay, little was seen of the knights as an attacking force as they struggled to make any significant metres and their kicking game was not working either. The introduction of Danny Mitchell and John Elliker on 25 minutes ramped up the pressure and from another deft Drake pass Elliker shot through a gap like a missile to score on 30 minutes. Drake converted and then on 38 minutes to cap a great first half, Drake dummied past 2 defenders to score himself under the posts. He converted again. From the kick off the ball did not travel 10m and with it being on the stroke of half-time Drake landed the penalty from half-way to make it 4-20.

Bramley were in no mood to let Kippax back in to the game and Drake sent Elliker over again within 2 minutes of the restart from 10m out. James Brown was a constant threat to the Kippax left side defence and they never really came to grips with him at anytime during the game, he shrugged off 3 tacklers to score one handed 6 minutes later. Drake missed the touchline conversion, the ball just falling short of the posts in the strong wind, 4-30. For the next 25 minutes Kippax spent even more time in their own half. Some cruel Buffaloes tackling was constantly sending the gallant Kippax players backwards as the energy appeared to visibly drain from them. Brown put his winger John Richardson over in the corner on 64 minutes and 5 minutes later Leese showed great determination and strength to score by the posts, an unlikely double try scorer. Drake converted the later try to take his haul to 16 points for the day. Danny Gill made a fine 40m break for the Knights on 71 minutes and that signalled their best spell of pressure of the game. On the back of some fortuitous referring decisions, some cheap penalties and some enterprising play, the Knights spent the remaining time in the game within the Buffaloes 20M zone. Wayne Little got over in the corner on 78 minutes and Adkin added a fine touchline conversion, it was however too little too late for the Knights.

This was the third impressive Buffaloes display in a row and was again built on the back of some solid defence. After a scratchy start to the game the Buffaloes slowly ground the Knights down and then totally dominated the game for long periods to register an impressive win against one of their challengers. Once again it was a great team performance witnessed by a very healthy crown and a large contingent from Bramley. Captain Paul Drake was very impressive but there were also good displays from Hulme, Brown, Elliker, Waddington and Brandford, but again this was very much a ‘team’ performace.

Game star: Paul Drake guided the Buffaloes around the pitch all afternoon, weighed in with 16 points and set up at least 3 other tries from great passes.

Game breaker: Two Buffaloes tries in the first 8 minutes of the second half killed off any hopes of a Kippax revival.

Kippax Knights: 1.Chris Hall, 2. Danny Gill, 3. Dave Jessey, 4. Danny Price, 5. Wayne Little, 6. Chris Knowles, 7. Chris Redfearn, 8. Mark Falkingham, 9. Gavin Adkin, 10. Andy Walter, 11. Adam Withington, 12. James Woods, 13. Scott Holder, Subs: (all used) 14. Mark Boswell, 15. Johnny Haywood , 16. Darren Greenwood, 17. Marc Crossfield.

Tries: Knowles (1), Little (78)
Goals: Adkin 1/2

Bramley Buffaloes: 1. Jimmy Waddington, 2. John Richardson, 3. James Brown, 4. Dean Townend, 5. Shaun Flynn, 6. Paul Drake, 7. Jon Nicholls, 8. Richard Leese, 9. Richard Hulme, 10. Junior Brandford, 11. Simon Speight, 12. Craig Green, 13. Robin Wilkes, Subs: (all used) 14. Alistair James, 15. Graham Harrison, 16. Danny Mitchell, 17. John Elliker.

Tries: Leese (18 & 69), Elliker (30 & 42), Drake (39), Brown (48), Richardson (64)
Goals: Drake 6/8

Half-time: 4-20
Final score: 10-40

Referee: Michael Mannifield

Penalty Count: 10(7)-14(8)
Sin-Bin: Redfearn (Knights) 47 mins, Adkin (Knights) 64 mins

Man of the Match:
Kippax Knights: Scott Holder
Bramley Buffaloes: Paul Drake

Next game: Saturday 31 July 2010
Competition: RLCN
Opponents: Warrington Wizards
Venue: Home
Kick-off: 2.30 pm