Buffaloes Win The Joust With The Knights - Bramley Buffaloes

In their first home game of 2014 and with their Canal Bank pitch out of action due to remedial work being carried out on it by Leeds City Council, the Buffaloes we forced to play on Stanningley Park.

The glorious weather of the previous weekend was long forgotten and the weather up to kick off had been torrential rain, leaving the pitch and surrounding area littered with puddles full of standing water.  Despite the poor conditions prior to kick off the Buffalo faithful turned out in great numbers to cheer on their heroes.

The Conditions were a great leveller, as the Knights had been going well in the competition and were coming off the back of their victory in the Forty-20 cup.

The game kicked off in light rain and both teams struggled to adapt to the terrible conditions underfoot.  The wet weather was also making handling difficult, with both teams guilt of mistakes with the ball in hand.

In the 27th minute the Knights were gifted a penalty in a kickable position which Ricky Fisher coolly slotted over to give Kippax a 0 – 2 lead.

Six minutes later the Buffaloes had their first clear cut chance of the game when stand off Omar Al Rawi put a neat grubber kick through the Kippax defence line and winger Liam Copland couldn’t quite touch the ball down.

In the 37th minutes Dave Parker took the ball forward and the Kippax defence parted in front of him for the first try of the game.  In the slippy condition Darrell Forster was unable to convert the try, giving the Buffaloes the lead 4 – 2.

The remaining minutes of the first half were spent on the Kippax line but the Buffaloes were unable to breech their defence again.

Three minutes after the break, Kippax were again gifted a penalty in front of the posts which Fisher again kicked bringing the scores level at 4 all.

In the 46th minute debutant Suart Young scooted over the line from dummy half, under the posts, Forster converted giving the Buffaloes the lead again 10-4

In the 62nd minute Terry Brown broke free of the Kippax defence for a try which was again converted by Forster to give the Buffaloes a 16-4 lead.

In the 66th Minute Copland was over for his first try of the afternoon, following a break from Alex Brier.  Forster couldn’t added the extras and the buffaloes lead 20-4.

In the 71st minute Copland was in for his second try, neatly following up a break by hooker Young, again Forster was unable to convert the try, making the score 24-4.

The remaining nine minutes were end to end with both sides trying to force a mistake they could capitalise on.

Buffaloes: 1) Terry Brown, 2) Nathan Hammond, 3) Aaron Blake, 4) Alex Brier, 5) Liam Copland, 6) Omar Al Rawi, 7) Stevie Suddards, 8) Dave Parker, 9) Stuart Young, 10) Sam Nicholls, 11) Will Howarth, 12) Daz Forster, 13) Craig Boot, Subs; 14) Andrew Bottomley, 15) Jack Young, 16) Gaz Hudson, 17) Anthony Mills
Tries: Parker (37), Young (46), Brown (62), Copland (66, 71)
Goals: Forster (2 from 4)

Kippax: 1) Connor Socket, 2) Callum Bellas, 3) Rob Kirk, 4) Lee Brookes, 5) Ricky Fisher, 6) Jack Pickerill, 7) Nathan Waters, 8) Craig Jones, 9) Johnny Haywood, 10) Dan Monaghan, 11) Joe Topping, 12) Rob Firth, 13) Max Field, Subs; 14) David Illingworth 15) Martin Taylor, 16) Dan Lazenby, 17) Danny Burton
Goals: Ricky Fisher (2 from 2)

Men Of The Match
Buffaloes – Stuart Young
Knights – Rob Firth