Sedbergh Clinch Title - Bramley Buffaloes

Under the scorching Bradford sun, the Buffaloes were out looking for revenge for the only defeat of the season a few weeks earlier, and the travelled the short distance in a determined mood.

The Buffalo soldiers were thin on the ground with several key players missing for a variety of reason and some not coming as they didn’t think they would be selected as they hadn’t trained in the week leading up to the game. However, on reflection wouldn’t have changed the result as the Sedbergh players had the desire and determination to win the game and secure the league title.

The Buffaloes were playing up the slope in the first half and for the first thirteen minutes were on the back foot, following some poor choices in defence and what appeared to be some lopped sided refereeing decisions, following another penalty Sedbergh stretched the Buffaloes scrambling defence, for an unconverted try out wide. Making the score Sedbergh 4 Buffaloes 0

Nine minutes later in their first attack of the afternoon, the Buffaloes hit back, when Aaron Henry, tapped the ball to himself from a penalty and caught the defence still retreating for a try under the posts, which he converted to give the Buffaloes the lead 4-6.

In the 28th minute, Sedbergh were on the attack, when prop Joshua Tordoff, clotheslined Buffaloes Scrum Half Brad Wilson, a scuffled ensued, and before the referee intervened to sort the issue, Sedbergh touched down in the corner. The official went back to sort out the issue and dismissed Tordoff from the field for his off the ball attack and sin-binned Buffaloes substitute Cameron McLachlan for retaliation. The Referee then went back and awarded the try, which was converted giving Sedbergh the lead 10-6.

In the 31st minute, the Buffaloes thought they were over again when Joe Mathers broke the defensive line and scored on the touchline only for the try to be disallowed for Mathers allegedly leading with his elbow. From the penalty, Sedbergh was straight on the attack and on the last tackle put up a high swirling kick. The official called the Sedbergh players were all offside, and so the Buffaloes relaxed a bit; the Sedbergh Centre swooped on the bouncing ball and planted the ball over the line, the referee waved away the Bramley protests and awarded the try, which was converted extending the lead to 16-6. The referee after the game said that he had called out that the Buffaloes players were offside, and the players were all mistaken.

The second half should have been better for the Buffaloes, playing down the slope with a man extra, but they couldn’t capitalise on the extra man and continued to play down the narrow side of the pitch.

Four minutes into the second half Mathers again broke te defensive line and sprinted away for a try, converted by Henry to reduced the lead to 16-12.

In the 48th minute, some determined play from Sedbergh saw them break through the defensive line for a converted try, extending the lead to 22-12.

just before the three-quarter mark of the game Sedbergh were in again for another unconverted try, giving them a 14 point lead, 26-12.

In the 64th minute, Sedbergh had a man sent to the sin-bin for foul play, reducing them to 11 players. This was the Buffaloes opportunity to make the extra players count, spreading the ball out wide. However, Sedbergh’s defence was resolute and stood firm against the attacking force of the buffaloes.

in the 71st minute, Sam Rodgers, making his first full appearance of the season, burst through for a try, which was converted by Henry reducing the lead to 26-18.

Game on, nine minutes to go and two scores required. The Buffaloes could sense a victory in the offing, and three minutes later Alex Coop strode through the tiring defence, for an unconverted try, reducing the lead to four points 26-22.

Five minutes on the clock and Sedbergh were out on their feet, taking their time to restart the game recovering some strength for the final onslaught.

The Buffaloes kept probing and pressing for a break in the defence but dropped ball and some stout defending kept the Buffaloes out. At the final whistle, the Buffaloes were dejected by the result, which considered them to second place in the league table and Sedbergh crowned as champions.

Congratulations to the Sedbergh outfit, they wanted the victory more on the day, and out enthused up on the slopes of the home ground. Deserved champions.

The Buffaloes have four games left, three at home if the opposition turns up when they should. And should cement their second place in the table.

Buffaloes: 1) Tom White, 2) Danny Baranyi, 3) Richard Fenty, 4) Kieran Hudson, 5) Joe Mathers, 6) Aaron Henry, 7) Brad Wilson, 8) Charlie McMurray, 9) Jack Sykes, 10) Dave Jennings, 11) Sam Rodgers, 12) Jack Young, 13) Aiden Baranyi, Subs (all used); 14) Alex Coop, 15) Cameron McLachlan.

Tries – Henry (22), Young (44), Rodgers (71), Coop (74)
Goal – Henry x 3

Sedbergh: 1) Sam Greenwood, 2) Oliver Priestley, 3) Robert Priestley, 4) Luke Dawson, 5) Danny Terry, 6) Scott Smith, 7) Stevie Suddards, 8) James Sharp, 9) Shaquille Jones, 10) Joshua Tordoff, 11) Joshua Briggs, 12) Adam Jones, 13) Kane McEwen, Subs (all used); 14) Robert Booth, 15) Imran Khan, 16) Kyle Terry, 17) Robert Bahan.

Tries – Oliver Priestly x 2, Dawson x 2, Robert Priestly.
Goals – Suddards x 3